Sunday, February 17, 2008

One of the walking stick my Dad made






This one is 42 1/2" tall and the widest diameter is 3 3/4 at the top. The JL in the second pic is his initials.

He has about 18 of these walking sticks. He started making then for the grand kids 'cause they liked to watch him balance them on one finger and they used to see who could do it the longest. Even my three year old has one that he can balance!

My dad spends a lot of time making these out under his carport. He has to strip the stalks of all the berries and stems. They are curved when they fall off the tree so he has to weigh them down and straighten them out. That takes about a week. Then he carves a figure on the handle. Some of them have eagles, elves, faces (like the one pictured), suns, etc... Then he lacquers them at least three times. They all have a cap on the bottom to protect the wood.

I took mine to NC this past summer for the boy scout trip. Our camp was on the side of a mountain and I used this cane every day, all day. I am also planning on taking it to my Wood Badge course this coming weekend.

No comments: