Thursday, January 24, 2008

Brilliant idea?!!

Back in December, when we decided to move, the boys and I had made a decision to get two kittens. We were waiting to find them in the free ads in the paper. Low and behold there came the ad on Sunday the 6th of January. "Cats and kittens many colors to choose from". Perfect! We jot down the number and call them up. "Oh, sure come on over." I was told. So I loaded up the kids to go get us some kittys.

Scout and I went in 'cause on the way there Baby had fallen asleep. The man explained that they were in the process of moving and apologised for the mess. Whatever, dude, just show us the kitties. He disapears into a bedroom and comes out a moment later with a calico about six months old. He shoves the cat at me and disapears again. The calico was terrified. It clawed at me even though I was atempting to calm him. The man appears again with a black and white long hair who did not want to be held at all. It clawed its way down the mans leg and back to the door from whence it came.

Scout shot me a glance that said "Whoa?!" and I agreed with a small smile. All the while the man is talking about the colors he has and every question we had was answered with a "I wish she was here to answer that." "She" turned out to be a roomate of his. The girl that rented the room, I assume. Finally after he got tired of getting all scratched up by the six or so cats he brought out he grabbed his phone and called her. I asked some questions and she thought it would be better if I came back the next day to talk to her in person.

It seemed to be that this girl had sixteen cats and kittens in that bedroom. None of the ones we got ahold of were tame. The smell of urine could burn your nose hairs right off. Although all the kitties looked to be in good health. The next night we hightailed it after work to finally make our decision on which ones we would save from that bedroom. We decided on a tourtise shell one and a simple orange one.

We get to the house and the girl is there and she simply asked which ones. Scout tells her he wants to see the two we picked and she brings out two totally different cats. Same colors that we wanted but not the ones we saw last night. She disapears and comes out with the right ones a few minutes later. I tell her that we would just hold them on the way home and she insisted on putting them in boxes. We said our good lucks and headed for home. Oh, did I tell you that the two kitties are mother / daughter? The orange one is the daughter and about 7 months old. (born June 4th). And her mother is the tourtise shell about a year old. The boys and I dropped the babies off at home and headed for the pet store.

For a whole week after we got them they managed to avoid us. I kept telling the boys "Oh, they are just getting used to their surroundings." and "It just takes time." But , I was the one who was awoken at 3 am in the morning to bells running around the house, hearing things get knocked over and kitties trying to creep into every room. See the boys thought it would be cute to buy collars with bells on them. Cute, yeah right. Finally I went online and determined that these cats are feral. No doubt about that. So I did a little reading and finally decided that I need to barter the big dog cage from my Mom and Dad. They abliged.

Kitties are all kinda settled in their new home. With the toys and two story cat condo they seem to be coming along just nicely. Well at least Butterscotch (the orange one) is. Babyluv is still not buying the whole "Oh, she brings me food so I should trust her." bit like Butterscotch. I have yet to get close enough to her without her hissing at me. And I think we found out at least one of the reasons.

She's pregnant.

I am such a 'tard. I should have known to check her out more carefully. That thought never crossed my mind. (Except for the day we brought them home and the kitties were in the closed up box, we all joked that she probly put five cats in there and we would never know it.) So not only do I have: two cats in the cage (and a silver spoon, a little boy blue, and a man on the moon.) Just had to, sorry. I also have some buns in the oven.
Oi Vey!

1 comment:

raquel said...

You crack me up!